Outsourcing construction cleaning is absolutely necessary for larger renovation and new construction projects, both from an efficiency perspective and specifically when faced with the pressure of meeting project timelines and maintaining high standards of cleanliness. Advantage Cleaning are seasoned experts in commercial construction cleaning and in this guide we will navigate you through the entire process, right from understanding the construction cleaning process to selecting the perfect cleanup service, and how to manage them effectively. This guide will also answer some frequently asked questions about outsourcing construction cleanup.
What we cover in this guide
Understanding the Construction Cleaning Process
The construction cleaning process is an essential part of any construction project. It involves the removal and proper disposal of debris, deep cleaning of the commercial building, and the cleaning of exterior areas including the grounds and parking lots. This process aims at leaving the construction site in a pristine condition, ready for handover or occupation, and relieves you as project manager from management of the cleanup and builds your confidence that your hand-over will run like clockwork.
To guarantee a high standard of cleanliness, the process is usually carried out in 3 phases of construction cleaning:
The initial rough cleaning:
This takes place after the construction is complete, and it involves removal of construction debris and dust.
The secondary light cleaning:
This is a more thorough clean that includes polishing of surfaces and deep cleaning of the facility.
The final cleaning:
This is done just before the handover of the project. It includes a final sweep to ensure the place is in perfect condition.
The Challenges of Outsourcing Construction Clean Up
Outsourcing construction cleaning comes with its unique set of challenges. One of the main issues is finding a reliable service provider that can deliver quality results within the required timelines. Other challenges include:
- Ensuring the clean up company follows environmental regulations during waste disposal.
- Working in a hectic environment where construction work is being finalized up until the last moment.
- Ensuring the clean up company has sufficient manpower to handle large scale projects.
- Dealing with unexpected issues that may cause delays or affect the quality of work.
What To Look In A Construction Cleaning Company
Choosing the right construction cleaning company is crucial to overcome the before mentioned challenges. When outsourcing your cleaning to a construction cleaning company, consider the following:
Response time and flexibility
In construction cleaning this is major. Construction workers will be working until the last minute before handover so the construction cleanup team must be flexible and be able to add additional cleaners to the team with short notice, to accommodate the changes on the construction site.
Do they have an experienced team large enough?
Check if the company has experience in post construction cleaning and can handle construction projects of your size, that can work within your timeline, and accommodate your need for flexibility and adapt to last-minute changes.
A well defined system for construction cleaning
You construction leaning company have a process in place for staff and supervisor training, a process and digital system in place to ensure everyone knows what to do, how to do it, and no one forgets a task. Who is doing quality inspection, how is quality evaluated, and how are low quality corrected, and when?
Quality control requires a cleaning crew supervisor who is responsible for quality control, quality evaluation, and feedback to the cleaning crew. Without a supervisor dedicated to quality control, quality evaluation, feedback, and performance improvement, the Quality Control process is unlikely to have any effect. The quality control process is likely supported in an app or mobile cleaning system.
Communication and reporting
As a construction project manager, you decide whether you want a cleaning partner who reacts to your instructions or manage the entire cleaning process proactively and reports back to you. The proactive construction cleaning company requires a team of professional cleaners, well versed in construction cleaning, and a supervisor that has the responsibility of orchestrating the crew. Without one you will not feel the support and control of a professional construction cleaning company.
Health & safety compliance
Ensure the company follows environmental regulations for waste disposal and OSHA safety standards.
Benefits of Outsourcing Construction Cleaning
Outsourcing your construction cleaning to professionals should deliver the following benefits:
- Confidence that your construction cleaning company manage and proactively keep you updated on timeline and progress.
- Save time and allow you to focus on core project activities.
- Provides a thorough and high-quality clean up by experts in construction cleaning.
- Proper disposal of debris and waste, and adhere to recycling standards.
- Guarantees adherence to health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Offers flexibility and can adjust to changes in project timelines.
How to Best Manage The Construction Cleaning Company
Once you have outsourced your construction cleaning, managing the service provider effectively ensures that your cleaning objectives are met. Here are some tips:
- Clearly communicate your expectations and timelines.
- Make it clear that you expect to receive daily updates on timeline, progress.
- Make it clear that issues need to communicated instantly and that the cleaning company resolves issues they control, proactively.
- Make sure there is ONE point of contact, a supervisor, so communication is effective and misunderstandings are minimized.
- Maintain open communication lines for any changes or issues that may arise.
Outsourcing construction cleaning is a strategic move that guarantees quality results, saves time, and ensures compliance with safety and environmental regulations. The key lies in choosing a reliable service provider and managing them effectively.
FAQs Outsourcing Clean Up
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes As a construction project manager, you’re accustomed to orchestrating the…
In this guide we explain the unique differences between commercial cleaning and post construction cleaning….